Contact angle measurement
What is determined with this method?
- determination of the contact angle at an interface between a liquid deposited as a drop on a solid surface and the solid surface using drop shape analysis
- contact angle is a measure of the wettability of a solid surface by a liquid
- contact angle: 0° - 180° (± 0,1°)
- drop dosing from 1 µL possible
- frame rate: up to 52 frames per second
- 4 dosing modules, software-controlled
What is evaluated with this method?
- evaluation of the wettability of a solid by a liquid
- evaluation of the intensity of interactions or the phase contact of a solid surface and a liquid
- based on this, estimates can be made regarding: hydrophobic/hydrophilic properties, barrier properties, absorption capacity and processability (e.g. gluing, printing, coating, painting, cleaning)
Examples of application of the method by material
- assessment of the wettability of papers, coatings, foils with e.g. printing inks, adhesives, paints
- evaluation of the bondability with water-based dispersion adhesives
What insights do customers gain about your products/samples with this method?
- wettability of samples
- printability with (special) inks
- water absorption capacity of samples
In which company or process area are these methods applied?
- company: product development, research
Which problems can this method solve / recognise at the customer?
- checking desired/specifically adjusted surface properties of products